My Presentation

Mt. Adams Rising Sun By: Garrett Westling

Creating and Formatting The Blog Post Overview Video

Step 1 – Summary of Project

I created an epic presentation about my self in hopes to learn about the way I can present and also how well I can tell a story. In doing so, I have also made a step by step guide so that YOU can do the same as me, and make your presentation skills, organization, and progression not suck!

Step 2 – What is Good Presentation?

Garr Reynolds: Clear the mind to start creating the story, a cluttered brain is not an effective brain. Go analog and process ideas on paper far away from technology. Identify the presentation core to get the viewers attention. Focus on what is important and what is not, replace anything that might be too complicated and distracting from the core Idea. Design, Group, Storyboard.

S.U.C.C.E.Ss Made To Stick: Strip an idea down to its core for simplicity. Create what is unexpected. Make ideas concrete and to the point. A credible source is a believable source. An emotional connection from the presentation to the audience is one of the best ways to get the point across. Story’s is why the audience is interested and connected.

Brain Rules: We don’t pay attention to boring things. In short-term memory, we repeat to remember, and for the long term, remember to repeat. Vision trumps all senses, and a picture stimulates the brain to help remember better than words.

A good presentation consists of a central idea revolved around a story, and how that idea can be expressed in a simplistic and understandable way. The presentation is able to not only inform the viewer about the idea but how they can believe and feel a connection to it with as little background noise as possible. We want to be good presenters in order to inform and educate our audience about something that we hold dear, in hopes to lead the audience to understand why and how it is also related to them.

Creative Commons – The Creative Commons is a useful tool to import images from the internet into your post without copyright infringement. Use the creative commons to search for images and cite them in the proper form that includes the date you got it, author name, and title of the picture. These should be in the citation slide of the presentation produced in MLA format.

Step 3 – Brainwriting and Brainstorming Ideas

Brainwriting is the process at which one comes up with ideas away from technology and other people (Introvert) in order to feed their best information and knowledge onto paper. Brainstorming is the process at which one compares ideas with others (Extrovert) in order to exchange their information for better and more proactive ideas. We do these activities because it is the best way to generate and organize our thoughts in a creative activity which helps one another in a proactive and functional way.

Step 4 – Creating the Storyboard

Storyboarding is a creative activity in which one writes down the order of one’s story onto paper away from technology. When creating the storyboard on paper, it creates a distraction-free environment and allows you to put most ideas into an organized fashion. The storyboard itself, when showed to others, is an interactive way of presenting the project and is the best way of receiving feedback from the viewer. A simple story is the best story.

Step 5 – Gathering and Citing Images

No one can just use anything off the internet created by other people, most of it is copyright. That means if you use, let’s say, an image, without the creator’s permission, this can lead to fraud. To inhibit that from happening, we use the Creative Commons, where creators allow what they create to be published for actively sharing and viewing to the public. Citing the source is still a requirement due to clarifying where and how you got the image, information ect, in exchange for giving the creator credit.

Step 6 – Creating the Master Slide

The master slide is the main slide that can enable one to set the basic slide for all of their presentation. Once the master slide is edited the way one wants it to be, every individual slide after the master slide will be in the same format as the master slide. I used the master slide in order to make creating my presentation a simple and pain-free process.

Step 7 – Building the Slide Show

By placing all of the text first in my presentation, I created a layout for how I wanted to present my story. Instead of going one slide at a time while finding and placing pictures, I put words to indicate where my pictures would go instead. In doing so, I can revise my story to how I want to present it. Once the revision is done, I start to place pictures where I have a picture slide labeled. This way, I am able to think clearly in an orderly fashion and not wasting time in the process.

Step 8 – Sharing the Slide Show

• I created a link to my slideshare.net presentation so that I could expand my viewing audience. SlideShare enables viewers to watch my presentation without any special downloads or devices, this way I will be able to inform more people about who I am.

Step 9 – Preparing to Present/Pitch

Preparation takes time, and lots of it, in order to make the best of the best. For presenting, a good rule to follow is that for every minute of presentation you need twenty minutes of preparation. To help with this, repetition of going through the motions of how I will present my presentation helps, especially if I present in front of my parents, friends, or teachers. I can record a video of myself, re-watch it, and then analyze my performance. I take a good note that the harshest critic should be yourself. Also, I tend to stay calm, cool and collected when I present. People have a better tendency to be gripped to your story when you are confident to what you say and how you say it. How I position myself also comes into play and standing while presenting also makes your audience seem to know that you care about what you are saying and why thus being more intrigued. One last thing I try to do is visit the place where I am presenting. Usually, I am in the classroom I am presenting in so I know the environment, but I tend to stroll around the room and look for focus points on where I will look throughout my presentation, so I know I can give all of the audience my undivided attention in return for theirs.

Step 10 – What I Learned

I have come to the conclusion that throughout my schooling career, I have made boring and uninteresting presentations. However, this year I learned how to make my presentations not suck, not be boring, but most of all make them entertaining and fun to listen to. The examples of S.U.C.C.E.Ss, I learned that simplicity and getting to the point of my idea was the best way to centre and attract the attention of my audience. Adding to that, replacing text with pictures is the best way for the audience to enjoy the presentation as well as remember what you have to say. Improving my workflow has been extremely effective in my process of creating and organizing my work in a clean and efficient way. Knowing how to cite my sources properly using the Creative Commons and at the end of a presentation had enabled me not to get sued and cost me my life savings. Finally, preparing for my presentation has given me the skills to present with a clear cut voice and attitude, so that I can influence my audience in how they feel and think about what I have to say. A good rule everyone should follow is that for every one minute of presentation, there should be twenty minutes of preparation. In all, I have changed my approach to presenting entirely in how organize, prepare, and finalize my finished product in being the best it can be, but most importantly not to SUCK.